Friday 15 May 2009

Non-aggression / Non-violence

It amazes me how the people who claim to care for others the most, are often also the most willing to use force against their neighbour. They will claim for example that free health care is a human right, but then when you highlight the inherent force required to create such a system they will turn off the logical part of their mind. A person that I admire greatly is Gandhi; not least for his belief in the principles of non-violence. However, unlike Gandhi I am not a pacifist I just believe in not aggressing against others to get your way, and not getting the government to aggress against others on my behalf. However, self-defence when people are using force on you is in my opinion acceptable. This is often reffered to as the golden rule - 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. This is perfect for everyone except masochists! Despite this difference in our beliefs I found some quotes by Gandhi, which I think perfectly convey the hypocrisy of those individuals that believe using force to achieve political gain is acceptable.

-"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall — think of it, always."

-"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"

-"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

-"There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for."

No comments:

Post a Comment