Thursday 9 April 2009

Where to start?

Its been about two years now since I stumbled upon the principles of liberty. I would like to say it was chance but I'm sure I unknowingly played my part in discovering said philosophy. The problem with philosophy is that it gets you into trouble, just look at Socrates, sentenced to death! Now lets just clarify a few things I have never felt that my beliefs will get me into trouble, at least not to the point of violence, but people do look at me with disdain when they hear my thoughts on certain issues. I don't want to force my way of thinking on others. There is a line that I try not to cross, which I may be crossing now with this blog, but anyway. However, if your bring up a topic that I am passionate about I will throw in my opinion also. Strangely, more often than not my opinion conflicts with consensus. People find me opinionated, as though holding opinions is a detrimental character trait. I hate people who aren't opinionated. Hate is a strong word, but if there was a word stronger I would use that instead. How can someone go through life saying 'I don't care', 'I dunno know', 'Don't bother me'? This kind of apathy just annoys the hell out of me...argggh! I also believe that people who don't know me well probably think I'm argumentative. Believe me I try not to be. I try to use reasonable logical discussion but people don't respond favourably to this. If you challenge some one's world view they act like a cornered animal and just resort to personal attacks. I think the technical term to describe this is 'confirmation bias'. To some extent we all suffer from this, but some people just won't even listen. I read a quote by someone, probably dead now, who said that 'It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it'. Listening to the other person's opinion is definitely the key to communication and a more peaceful society.

I don't know what my intention was when I first started writing this blog entry, but I feel like its been fulfilled. So, I am going to end it here,,,no really.


No comments:

Post a Comment